Picking up a coffee at a coffee shop whilst you’re out can be an expensive habit, especially during the current cost of living crisis we are facing in the UK.
However, with the right coffee machine, you can create your very own barista style coffee easily in your kitchen.
What to look for in a coffee machine
Depending on your budget and the amount of customisation you want in your coffee machine, look out for these features:
- Milk steam wand: Ideal for those who enjoy milky coffees, a steam wand gives you control over the temperature and froth level of your milk and are common features on espresso machines and bean-to-cup coffee machines.
- Multiple filter baskets: If you are looking to create more than one espresso shot at a time, choose a machine that offers two or more filter baskets for loading into the portafilter.
- Coffee grind customization: Different coffees are best with different grind levels, so choosing a machine which has adjustable grind features means you will be able to make better tasting coffee.
- Adjustable drip tray: Adjustable trays means you can fit any sort of mug or cup underneath. For example, if you wanted an espresso, you would move the tray closer to prevent any splashing, or if you wanted a latte, you would move the tray further away to fit the cup underneath.
- Cleaning functions: Just like a kettle, a coffee machine is susceptible to limescale buildup. It also may have lingering coffee oils and milk that needs to be cleaned. Modern coffee machines should have a self cleaning function.
Which coffee machine brands are the best?
There are countless brands of coffee machines out there for you to choose from, but there are some brands which are noticeably superior.
Some of the best brands for coffee machines include:
If you’re on the hunt for a new coffee machine, we recommend one of the brands mentioned above.
Each brand has their own collections of different coffee machines, with different features for you to shop around and choose from.
How to choose the best coffee machine brand
Knowing which brand of coffee machine to pick can be difficult, especially since there are a range of different makes and models of machines to choose from.
There are a few different things you should look for when choosing the brand of your coffee machine.
You may not have thought about the impact your coffee machine can have on the environment, but it is something that should be considered. Many pod coffee machines use single use plastics, which takes its toll on our planet.
Nespresso has introduced a recycling scheme to reduce household waste from pod coffee machines. Simply put your used coffee pods into a recycling bag, which you can claim for free on the Nespresso website. You can arrange pick ups via Yodel, or alternatively, drop the bag off at your local Nespresso store.
The Nespresso Vertuo Pop Coffee Pod Machine is a great little coffee machine, with a low energy consumption and pods which can be used in the recycling program.
It is also incredibly smart, with smart-phone Bluetooth connectivity to alert you on real-time updates and descaling alerts.
If you love having the coffee shop experience at home, Tassimo has a great range of branded coffee pods which are compatible with their machines.
Tassimo has a broad range of over 70 drinks with brands such as Costa, Cadbury’s, Kenco and much more.
The Bosch Tassimo Vivy Hot Drinks and Coffee Machine is an affordable coffee machine, allowing you to enjoy a range of drinks from the brands you love. It is also incredibly easy to use, meaning you can have that coffee shop experience in your own home.
The De’Longhi Dolce Gusto Infinissima Pod Capsule Coffee Machine is also a great choice as De’Longhi have a range of coffee and hot chocolate products in collaboration with Starbucks.
Luxury coffee machines
One thing you may be seriously considering when buying a coffee machine is really achieving the taste of artisan coffee at home, and so you may have to look at the higher price range.
Many luxury coffee machines come with a wide variety of settings, from brew time to grind coarseness and so on. There are a few things which may be a must on your luxury coffee machine including:
- Controlled coffee bean grinder
- Optimal water pressure
- Manual microfoam milk texturing
- Precise espresso extraction
The Sage Barista Express Espresso Machine has all of the above and much more. It is on the more expensive side of the spectrum, but it allows you to create cafe standard coffees in the comfort of your own home.
It is also the perfect choice for those who enjoy the coffee making process, as the machine has the option for either manual or automatic operation.
We recommend viewing the full range of Sage products, as they produce great quality luxury coffee machines for your kitchen.
Affordable coffee machines
Breville has a great range of affordable coffee machines that produce great quality coffee.
The Breville All-in-One Coffee House is great value for money, with its all-in-one functions for espressos, filter coffee and coffee capsules. The machine auto-detects your chosen attachment and provides the appropriate brewing options.
What is the most popular coffee pod machine?
One of the most popular coffee pod machines is the Lavazza A Modo Mio Jolie Coffee Capsule Machine. It is beautifully designed, coming in a sleek black and silver, and is also small and convenient for kitchen countertops.
It is incredibly easy to use, with your coffee being dispensed at a simple push of a button.
One downside is that it is only compatible with Lavazza A Modo Mio coffee capsules.
What is the most popular ground coffee machine?
The Breville Bijou Espresso Machine is a popular choice for many, with an affordable price tag and easy functionality, it’s no wonder so many love it.
The machine has a pre-infusion cycle that offers enhanced coffee extraction, as well as manual short functions for complete control and customisation of your coffee.